Girls' Electrocution in Cornfield Is Basis of Lawsuit Against Monsanto
Posted on Aug 08, 2011
Tragedy struck a western Illinois cornfield when two 14 year old girls were electrocuted. The first girl stepped into a puddle and then screamed as electrical current went through her body. The girl's friend tried to help her, but she too came into contact with the current and was electrocuted. The girls were working in the field to remove tassles from the corn.
Officials are investigating whether irrigation system equipment was defective and sent an electrical current through the water. A lawsuit claims that the equipment was defective and that defendant, Monsanto, was aware of problems with it. A spokesman for Monsanto denies that claim and states that Monsanto has the highest priority for the safety of its employees and contractors.